3.27.2008

The Cussing Pastor

Something I have grasped over the past 5 years is Christian Liberty. It's amazing to me, in hind sight, how I have studied something to justify the way I want to live. One great argument among conservative Christians is drinking a beer. I do not see a problem with having a beer. I love to sit with my close friends and drink a cold frothy Killian's or Steam Engine. Sometime we discuss the things of Christ over a drink and sometimes we'll just watch a movie or playing a video game. I will not over-spiritualize a beer. Self-Control is the issue here. Yeah, I am prayerful every time I pick up a beer because I fear my actions causing someone to stumble (someone who may be weak in their faith).

Today I was reading in Colossians three and Paul is claiming holy living and says to "rid yourself of...filthy language." This was a shot to my heart because I do not mind dropping a bomb or two. It's under control, not like my high school years, but I will drop one for an expression, to get a smirk, to get a laugh.

Looking into this a bit further, and if you know me you know that I will not make any rash changes in my Christian Liberty without hard evidence (is that pride?), the textual meaning of "filthy" is "obscene; dirty."

I think you have to take a definition like that and place it into our culture. What is obscene to the people around me? What is dirty to the people around me? Yeah, cuss words (no matter how soft) might be considered obscene. Maybe times are changing and words like damn and ass might be more common (or is that because I am getting older and immuned).

If someone knows you are a believer in Christ and they would be taken back by the words you say, that has to be the definition of obscene/offensive. I don't think we have the freedom to define this in our lives ourselves. Only the Holy Spirit of God and those who do not find their salvation in Christ have the right to define this because it is them we are living for, right? Living for the glory of God! Living so that a few might come to know Christ through our lives, our actions, our love for Christ!

I think when we realize who we are living for and actually begin living that way, then we will find true satisfaction in Christ. I am not making any sweeping promises that I will never drop another bomb but I will continue to seek God in this and pray that my life is a greater reflection of Him then it was yesterday.

No comments: