5.16.2008

Cursed Are the Ones Who Can't Abide

My brain tends to work slower than others. I will never forget when my best friend, Jay, came over to my house one morning to share a new song to me. It was Shane and Shane's new album (hot off the presses) "Pages" and the song was "Embracing Accusations." I got the song. I knew what Shane was saying through it. I have even worshiped to this song over and over. Have you ever known something but then God hits your personally with its meaning after the fact, it brings new perspective...an ah ha moment?

I will also never forget sitting in a worship service (or a concert turned worship service) of the Shanes and being brought to my feet as we were sitting there listing to them sing "Embracing Accusations" and balling like a baby as the freedom of Christ poured over me.

I guess this morning was a reconnection...a remembrance of the truth of this song. I was reading in Galatians 3, the inspiration for this song, and I was able to see right through Paul's (the author) heart. The words after Galatians 4 and 5 are heart piercing for a sinner like me. He boldly proclaims that followers should never again be burdened by the yoke of slavery. Dang...sin burdens my heart often. Never to the point of saying that "God can't...in me" but to the point of feeling like trash. It's Scripture like this one that don't help these feelings because I feel I should be "a better Christian."

It's the precursor to Galatians 4 and 5 that sets the tone for Paul's heart in these verses. It's the precursor that Shane so vividly describes in his song. It's this precursor that should define us...not the lies of Satan.

The truth lies is the fact that cursed are those who can't abide in the book of the laws...in the system set up in the first five books of the OT...the Law. If you can't follow these laws set up by God then you are cursed. Can anyone ever reach this perfectionism?

This truth is followed by a greater truth, Jesus Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming the curse for us...on the cross. The ultimate truth lies in the fact that we will never be good enough but that Christ has freed us from the curse. We have been supernaturally saved from what is rightfully ours.

If this doesn't throw you to your knees than nothing will...except for the day that every knee will bow in His presence.

No comments: