6.27.2008

entertain this thought

do we represent God to be the god of the rich?

do me a favor and entertain this idea! as my friends are on a mission trip in downtown P-town serving the street kids, this thought/idea/possible truth hit me as i was cleaning my "comfortable" house.

rich?!? i would never consider myself to be rich and thankfully so. i don't think i would handle it properly. like many "good christians" i have prayed for wealth so i can give it all away but in reality, i think i would expand my "stuff" before i gave much away (i don't know if godly giving is...me first, the needy can have my left overs). nevertheless, i am rich because i have a home, bank account, food on the table, 2 cars, most of the time i can afford gas, a mountain bike that i love (but could use a better one...dangit, see what i mean). i am rich.

this question comes from an inward battle i have been dealing with for over a month now. i have be reading these guys blogs from subversivechurch and they have raised a lot of questions about "the church" today and it's purpose (warning: this is not for the light hearted or those who get offended easily about todays church...or maybe this should be for you...it's a great blog). i've started reading through scripture objectively with the intent of seeing the church as Jesus birthed it. i have started in the book of Acts. it's been fruitful but i am a long way from my conclusion.

back to the topic now...thinking about the street kids that my friends served this week and daydreaming about the conversations they may have had...i can only imagine that many would be turned off even to the mention of the gospel. i know in my little experience in dealing with the homeless, they have been there and done that with Jesus. they have sought help with "the church" and been turned away. then we come in to their lives because we have a quick conviction and tell them about Jesus and how hope can be found in Him.

HOPE?!? do we know was true hopeless is? can we fly-by evangelize and expect someones life to be transformed? it's not beyond God...but we're representing a false gospel to these who are in need of true rescue!

is Jesus hope to the hopeless...you bet ya! but fly-by promises are harmful and false.

we represent God to be the god of the rich! you don't believe me...what's your first thought next time you pass a homeless man at an intersection or seem someone less fortunate than you? do me a favor and look around your church this next weekend and see who's welcome in the doors...if a smelly homeless man walked in, would you sit next to him? before today, i probably wouldn't.

we speak,"hope for the hopeless" but live "Jesus has come for the healthy." That's not to mention the sacrifice that we don't make during the week. this is not only unbiblical but blasphemous.

i am sure there will be more to come with my heart on the "american church" as i battle through it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear your thoughts on this bro.

don't beat yourself up too much, the church has always had its problems. it was inspired by Love itself, but once it was in the hands of man, its been a human institution. Not that I"m suggesting you tell yourself that its ok to let it be as it is, only to know that its the nature of human controlled situations. there will always be a battle to fight, and for our generation, I think this is one of the big ones. realizing how affluent, complacent, and truly unloving most american christians are and trying to wake as many up as possible.

Marsha Cashdollar said...

but isn't sharing christ love worth it? Aren't we supposed to go out and love others the way jesus did anyways? I see what you are saying, fly by- speak to them- and rush along with our lives. It makes total sense how they have been there and done that? I never thought of that roadblock when witnessing to homeless. But, don't we have to keep planting seeds in the hearts of the homeless and the poor and destitute that god loves them??? Won't they see that christian's are here to help them... If it changes the life of just one person... one soul on your journey wouldn't it all be worth it? I think I get most of what you are saying here but correct me if I am way off. I am so confused by all the problems in this world and how to tackle them. They are so large and so vast who knows where to start other than just dig in.

I look forward to reading more as you learn.

Those kids are awesome for what they did in Portland it is so inspiring to see young people reach out like that. I will be praying for them this week as they return back to "normal" life!

jordan said...

"But, don't we have to keep planting seeds in the hearts of the homeless and the poor and destitute that god loves them???"


Marsha,

you are absolutely right but my point is how many people actually "plant these seeds" as a lifestyle. when was the last time you've been to downtown houston to love on the unloveable.

if your church group goes as a mission...how many people on the trip have a true heart to see these lives changed.

if we actually put the millages on our cars to head down to the slums...are we preaching hope all or are we preaching you have to be like me to have this Jesus (indirectly of course).