10.23.2008

Christmas

what did you get for Christmas last year?  if you can remember, where are these "gifts" right now?  

i am genuinely asking this question?  i am not being a consumer hater but just following a thought process.  

i was reading online today that we spend (as americans) on average $450 billions dollars a  year for Christmas.  There is an estimated 305 million people in the US today...counting everyone...even my one year old daughter.  if that figure is correct then that's just over $1,475/person spent each year on Christmas...including my one year old daughter.  point being is that we spend a lot of money for christmas.

as i am typing this blog post i just realized that i am using the computer that my wife surprised me with last year for Christmas.  i am even wearing the pajama pants that she got for me too.  consumerism isn't all bad, just out of control in my mind.  

what were the menial gifts you received last year that you returned, lost, broke, or forgot about?  i am not really meaning this to be rhetorical.  i am genuinely curious.  


check this out:


3 comments:

Sara said...

Good post.. Let's see, I got a mixer that I love but have used maybe 3 times, a pillow that became the plague of my life, 2 massage certificates that I never got to use because the lady skipped town, and a book that Matt borrowed out without asking and I haven't seen it since. I think you've made a good point.

meredithlynne said...

I don't even remember. I just remember getting really great presents for everyone else that they use all the time. Wait no I got a few starbucks gift certificates which I did use because, at the time I was commuting an hour and a half to work in each direction. other than that though I can't remember what anyone got for me. How sad.

Jared Bridge said...

Well, let's see...I got my wife a box of nothing and in return she gave me the greatest nothing ever.

I remember when you got that computer. I can't believe that was a year ago. Wow, crazy.